Getting close to retirement? Here is an overview of the application process you will need to fulfill before your pension benefits start.
1. Call the Fund Office at least four months in advance of the date you wish to begin your pension benefits to request a pension application.
2. Complete and return the application to the Fund Office along with the following required documents:
- Birth certificate
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Divorce Decree (if applicable)
- Social Security Administration Disability Award (for Disability Pension applicants)
3. The Fund Office staff will review your application and forward it to the Plan Actuaries who certify your eligibility for a pension benefit, calculate your monthly benefit amount, and establish the effective date of your benefit.
4. The Fund Office will contact you to arrange an interview with the Director of the Fund to review all the details of your pension and allow you the opportunity to certify benefit options that are available to you.
5. The Plan Trustees will review and ratify your correct and complete application.
6. Your monthly pension benefit starts.
Feel free to contact the Fund Office at anytime before you are ready to apply for your pension benefit to review your work record and years of credited service. This will help to ensure the application process will run smoothly when you’re actually ready to retire.